After A Storm Hits
Lately, we seem to be feeling Mother Nature’s wrath more frequently and strongly. Rain, fierce winds and even wildfires have caused major roof damage in many communities across North America. As a homeowner, here’s what to do if your home has been damaged in a storm.
Personal safety first. Make sure all family members and pets are safe and together. Depending on the nature of the emergency and extent of the damage, you may want to leave the house or stay put (for example, in the case of a tornado, it is safer to remain in the basement than to leave the premises. In case of fire, get out as soon as possible and gather at a pre-arranged spot away from the fire.).
Call emergency services immediately if anyone requires medical attention.
Property damage. If you see felled hydro lines, call 911 or your hydro/utility company and report them. When it’s safe to go outside, inspect the damage to your home and have a Phoenix Roofing & Construction Field Supervisor come take a look as soon as possible. Call your insurance agent to report the damage and file a claim.
After an insurance adjuster determines the extent of the damage, your roof may be repaired or replaced. The Phoenix Roofing will bill your insurance company if the claim is covered.
Step-by-Step After Storm Guide
After a storm hits and you’ve looked after the important things first, such as your family’s safety, it’s time to inspect your roof.
- From ground level, do a visual inspection. Look for shingles that may have blown off, exposing the wood of the roof deck below.
- Check your yard, too, for blown-off shingles that you may not see when looking at the roof itself.
- Ensure that no siding, soffit, fascia or roof structures have been torn or damaged.
- Check that the eavestroughing has not been damaged and that downpipes remain firmly attached.
- If it’s safe to do so, climb up to the roof level and complete your inspection.
- Leaks and water stains inside your home are a sure indication of roof damage.
- Take detailed notes of anything you notice that doesn’t seem right.
- Consult your roofing limited warranty for details.
- Call Phoenix Roofing to come and inspect for damage you may have missed and arrange for any necessary roof repairs to be made as soon as possible.